Friday, March 30, 2012
"Who needs a fun top when you have fun pants?"
If you read my blog you might notice that I'm not all that over-the-top. I like fashion statements not fashion "slaps in the face". And colored denim is a really fun and easy way to make a fashion statement without getting those unwanted second glances (when the double-take is followed by the unmistakable "bad smell" disapproving face squish).
I definitely took the easy route with this outfit by pairing bright blue bottoms with a white t-shirt. This isn't the most fashion-forward look but it's one that any girl could pull off.
The Basics to Building A Colored Denim Look:
1. Build off of your statement piece. (In this case; pants)
2. Make a definitive choice on your top before adding accessories.
3. Add accessories that make the clothes look good on YOU. For example: I felt weird without the belt, I needed to add it in order to create a break in the hips. Another asset accentuating accessory could be a necklace if you have a great collar bone or earrings that compliment your face shape.
Braided tan belt & a gold double-knuckle ring.
My go-to-gold tan Michael Kors flats.
Tips for Picking Tops:
- White or neutral variation is always a good fall back.
- For a unique look pair your denim with a top that is a few shades lighter.
(Focus on finding a less saturated hue, not a lighter version of a similar color)
- A pattern top with complimenting colors and simple styling will give your that "off the runway" look.
Tips for Pulling Off Colored Denim:
- Make sure your pants fit. Seriously. Try sitting in them to make sure you aren't hanging out in the back! Nothing makes your look worse than clothes that don't fit.
- I'm 5'10'' so making sure pants are long enough is essential. But NOTE: the pants I'm wearing are skinny jeans. They were too short on me so I cuffed them into capris.
- Before buying a crazy color seriously ask yourself if you would wear it or not.
- To avoid frustration, either buy a top to wear with your jeans at the time of purchase or have one in mind from your closet before you buy.
- Bright blues are a great place to start if you want to test the style before committing to that awesome pair of raspberry red skinny jeans!
My colored denim: only $14.99 from TJMaxx
Some stores I like that carry colored denim at affordable prices: Target, TJMaxx, Macy's and Lucky Brand.
Thank you for reading! Please follow me for email updates and follow me on Twitter @soiree_bisou !!
Please, leave your comments so I can start doing giveaways and contests for all of you to benefit from!